Thursday, January 24, 2008

What Children Want...

Students want the full media experience using computers. One of the teachers at my school has found a way to use headphones on computers. I know, I know everyone is thinking one word ..... LICE! Fear not, these headphones are smooth plastic, and do not present a lice friendly environment. They are not often used, and the actual incidence of lice in my school is really low.

Today we put our usual All The Right Type away, and are using a free online program by BBC schools called "Dance Mat Typing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/

This is a great site. It has cartoony graphics (I love the goat's accent, Scottish I think), and how they illustrate the correct finger positions. I have been using it with students as young as grade 2, but they are more interested in completing levels than they are about good finger positioning. One step at a time, I suppose.

No comments: