Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How to Start an Uproar - 9 week course

Here are a few questions I would ask middle school students at the start of their course in Computer Education:

  1. How can I find what I need on the Internet, and sift it out of the millions of websites that I find?
  2. How can I judge how valuable information is?
  3. How can I judge if it is true or not?
  4. Is it OK to take someone's picture without permission?
  5. Is it OK to take a teacher's picture without their permission and change it with a graphics program, and post it on the Internet?
  6. Can we say anything we want about someone?
  7. Can we write anything we want about a person / people on the Internet?
  8. How can I tell what is true and what is not on tv/in the newspaper / on the Internet?
  9. What should I do when I find that something on the internet is not true, but is being reported as true?
  10. What should I do if someone writes something about me that is not true on their website?
  11. What is the difference between a person expressing something that is an opinion that I don't like / agree with, and what is a lie?
  12. What are the possible effects about writing something that is not true about someone else on the Internet?
  13. Are there things that I should not openly reveal about myself on the Internet?


    We should not shy away from these things in schools. We should prepare our students for them.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under aCreative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

No comments: