Friday, October 15, 2010

Rewarding Initiatve and Bending the Rules

Today, a young lady in my class named Samantha turned in an altnerate assignment. She had not taken home the correct homework assignment, but fulfilled the spirit of the assignment with an essay. How often do teachers mark according to the criteria, and not the spirit of the assignment. While not exactly what I was looking for, I like initiative, and think it ought to be rewarded. By rewarding her efforts in front of the class, I hope that the other students will realize that the world is looking for people with initiative. If you don't know what to do, sometimes the most dangerous thing is to do nothing, and give up. Samantha didn't give up.

This is why I gave her an A on the assignment.

1 comment:

Olga said...

Good for you! I LOVE that a student would write an essay when without the actual assignment. Talk about good faith effort. Yeah!