Wednesday, July 30, 2008

No Lukewarm Sentiments, or Watered Down Wishes

NASA had the best mission statement ever back in the days of lunar landings. To put a man onthe moon, and bring him back again, safely. This is something I can wrap my head around. It is something people remember. I bet if you walked into most schools, most of the teachers and perhaps even some administrators don't know their own mission statement. That's because everyone gets to put something into it, and make it something for everyone. I believe in democracy, but I also believe in a unifying vision, one where all the team members have to get behind in order to make it work.

So I made my own mission statement:

My goal is to equip students with the skills needed to be globally competitive.

Self-actualization is important. A sense of balance in your life is important. Being a good community memeber is important. Healthy living is important.

If I put it all in, the message gets watered down. So I am focussing on my mission.

No comments: